Dornan are currently recruiting for a Senior Pipe Stress Engineer to work in our Head Office in Cork.
Dornan are a leading Mechanical, Electrical and Instrumentation contractor with projects in Ireland, Mainland Europe, the Nordics and the UK.
Dornan are involved in projects across many sectors such as Pharmaceutical, Data Centre, Healthcare, Education, Commercial, and Power Generation.
You will join a hard-working ambitious team and you will benefit from a supportive culture, where your ideas and contributions will be recognised.
Due to the evolving nature of our business, the successful candidate may also be required to work on rotation on our European Projects and it is critical that candidates are aware of this at application stage.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Perform flexibility analyses for piping systems to ensure stresses are within code allowable limits
- Develop piping stress models which include all physical properties of the piping, its contents, and insulation
- Locate and design pipe supports and restraints which maintain static equilibrium and minimize stresses
- Work directly with the design team to ensure the detailed support designs are created accurately and on schedule
- Work directly with designers and others to ensure pipe routing and equipment access is optimized and that loads are properly addressed where piping interfaces with equipment or supports interface with the main structure
- Use hand calculations, internal spreadsheets, programs, or other tools to determine or validate miscellaneous expansions, stresses, loads, and support designs
- Perform dynamic analyses, if required, to determine loads originating from safety valve opening
- Create specifications, lists, requisitions, and review quotes to support the procurement of pipe support material
- Provide organized and well written reports to describe assumptions, steps taken, and results from work performed
- Provide leadership by learning, developing, and coordinating new techniques, standardizing procedures, and providing technical instruction and mentoring to department staff
- The stress work includes the modelling of the piping systems to verify piping flexibility, stability and qualification of equipment nozzle loads.
- Support and take direction from the engineering manager.
- Develop and review estimates and schedules, progress reports, including manpower forecasts
- Establish, track, and monitor material key quantities; provide analysis and forecasts
- Develop and review specifications, including design criteria
- Perform and check calculations, specify equipment, and solve problems of complex to difficult engineering complexity
- Participate in people development through mentoring, development of training material, conducting training seminars, and performance appraisal input and counselling
- Analyse and make independent recommendations regarding solutions to problems with varying complexity in accordance with organization and/or project objectives and guidelines
- Provide design solutions and support on projects
- Interrogate the project design and identify Value Engineering Solutions
- Liaise with vendors, suppliers, sub-contractors, specialist designers, manufacturers with respect to the specification, validation and value Engineering of products and equipment to be supplied to the project
- Accredited degree in engineering field of study and/or ten (10) years of work-related experience.
- Experience in operating Caesar II or equivalent piping analysis software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Prior knowledge of ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Codes, with an emphasis on B31.1 is preferred
- Candidate should possess knowledge of safety and piping codes
- Experience in pharmaceutical facilities preferred
- Dornan are a well-established company with a family feel and a down to earth team
- Dornan offer a clear progression path , always seeking opportunities to promote from within
- Dornan offer educational assistance and promote CPD
- Dornan promote collaboration through various team building , social and charity events
- Dornan are committed to employee wellbeing with our Employee Assistance Programme and an in house Health & Wellbeing advisor