Dornan is recruiting for a Structural Engineer, this role is key in supporting the growth of the company and will report to the Group Engineering Director.
This role is based in our Head Office in Cork, with travel to sites as required.
The main purpose of the role is to interface with the client’s representatives and the supply chain, and to collaborate with the project manager and project teams to review and manage project from inception to handover.
Due to the evolving nature of our business, the successful candidate may also be required to work on rotation on our European Projects and it is critical that candidates are aware of this at application stage.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Liaise with the Project Managers during the design development to construction stage to ensure the services support systems proposed comply with all regulations and requirements
- Carry our preliminary designs and design checks on proposed support systems including secondary steelwork, their fixings to the main structure and the service fixings and hangars.
- Assess that the impact of the secondary steelwork load is within the capacity of the primary structure and members.
- Carry out temporary works design, in conjunction with the site Temporary Work, and third parties. Coordinator, in connection to services installation, e.g. placing AHU’s, or other large plant on roofs over atriums
- Liaise with the Project Supervisor Construction Stage and the Site Safety Manager in relation to the design elements
- Package all design work for formal checking by the Project Structural Engineer or an external designer. Ensure the written confirmation of the design is received and filed.
- Liaise with the PM to ensure QA requirements associated with the design work are fulfilled
- Review constructions drawings for design elements that may need to be developed and checked
- Liaise with design team and project coordinator to ensure necessary information (as required by construction team) is prioritised (where necessary) and issued is issued in accordance with construction schedule
- Assist the PM in assuring design responsibility is clearly set out to the subcontractor on appointment and carry out the necessary design checks in due course
- Attendance at Site Meetings, Internal Project Reviews, Engineering Reviews, Planning and Co-ordination Meetings and Handover Meetings as deemed necessary to fulfil your role
- Close out of all project items in a timely manner in line with agreed timelines.
- Issue Monthly Report to the Project Manager on all design works being undertaken or complete for the project
- Develop and implement company procedures with the project managers
- Confirm that the builders works, set out on construction drawings, does not compromise the primary structure and advise the Project Structural Engineer accordingly and gain his formal approval
- Degree qualified in Structural Engineering or equivalent essential
Experience and Skills Required:
- Minimum 3 years of design experience essential
- Experience working in structural steelwork, prefabrication, modularisation, or services essential
- Sound Mathematical and IT skill, familiar with design packages and load capacity data sources
- Understanding of site technical and feasibility studies including site investigations
- Understanding of structural detailing and required calculations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in furthering your expertise
- Commercial understanding
- Awareness Health, Safety and Environmental systems